Saturday, March 10, 2012

What's Next?

I just brought home my new to me 93 Bronco. It needs a little work but is definitely drivable. So I am tossing around a couple of ideas of where to start fixing this beast up. My wife says I should take it to the body shop first and get it looking sharp. I don't want to be that truck on the side of the road that people drive by and say, "that looks so nice I wonder why its broke down?" This was the original plan, my better half said I should at least have one ride that looks decent. All in all it needs at least a grand in cosmetic work, including a few missing body parts from www.lmctruck.com, and that's a cheap estimate if you have ever priced body work.
So that will eat up all of the funds I presently have. There is also the maintenance list; not as fun but necessary. So a tune up (cap,rotor,wires, and plugs), brakes (rotors and pads), fluid changes, and repack or replace bearings. All this comes to about $500 in parts and that is using Summit Racing parts. www.summitracing.com really offers inexpensive solutions to after market performance. Kind of like buying generic at the grocery, just as good but a 1/3 of the price. So already have stuff picked out I just have to pull the trigger and then find time to install it all.
I definitely want to replace everything with factory looking parts that offer a higher degree of performance. This is what I did with the Mustang. I used several Ford Racing parts, mostly purchased from Summit. These look factory, they are not some bright gaudy color that doesn't match the rest under the hood. They do offer a significant performance increase. For instance my Ford Motor Sports water pump is natural aluminum but flows 40% more than stock.
Of course I want to modify it some. I don't want to go to crazy with lift and tires. Probably just stick with 33's on factory wheels. I could use some new motor parts that increase mileage and horse power. So the big question is where to start? I would love y'alls opinions...well I think I do.
What would you do to the Bronco first? What type and size tires? What improvements, mods, or general maintenance would you start off with?
So far I love driving this SUV, it handles like a truck but it's a nice ride. Plenty of room and it's a V8 with a manual shift 4 wheel drive. Everything you NEED and no gadgets that get in the way.
So let me know, if you had a $1000 to spend on your ride what would it be?

1 comment:

  1. Maintenance first all the way. I'll take a vehicle that runs better over a vehicle that looks better any day of the week.

    ReplyDelete