Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Read the fine print...

Just got my new title and registration for the 93 Bronco I bought from my cousin. Yes, I finally found a 4x4 I can live with...well I hope so. My cousin, who owns his own shop out in Pungo, was gracious enough to sell it to me even though he wanted to drive it for a while. He is the type that gets autos and fixes them up while he drives them then sells it for profit. He rebuilt the tranny and went through the rest of the truck to make sure it would be some what reliable. The Bronco spent it's life mostly in Texas and California so the only rust on the truck are two small spots on the tailgate, which is typical for Broncos. This was the main draw to the vehicle and a fresh transmission all for $2500. That's a lot better than the rust buckets I have been shuffling through for the past 6 months!
Now for the interesting part of the transaction. Most people that have bought used cars have had a similar situation as this. I pay my cousin and he hands me a title...from Texas. This is pretty common with people that buy and sell a decent amount of vehicles. Why spend the time to title it when you are going to turn it over. So he got it from a guy on a trade that bought it from the title holder and none of them titled it. I am now 3 people removed from the name on the title. Technically this is illegal but that is because VA wants their money. You don't need to track a car that isn't on the road. There is a down side to the removed ownership purchase. That is if there is a discrepancy with the title. Wouldn't you know it there was, it was signed in the wrong spot.
The limited transaction DMV at the court house was my first stop. No line! This was a good start but short lived. The woman at the counter said "oh, he signed in the wrong spot. I can't help you, try the full service DMV." After I got off work I went to the full service and waited about 45 minutes just so the lady at the counter could tell me, "you have to get the seller to make an affidavit saying he signed in the wrong spot." Of course I ask, what if I cant get a hold of him? It has been a year since he sold the vehicle to the first buyer. So what your telling me is I have a vehicle I cannot register if I can't get this guy to send the affidavit? The response was less than helpful. Needless to say I went home pretty upset.
So I prayed after my awesome wife saved me from a breakdown and found the guys number on the Internet. He was still in the area, this was rare considering he is an officer in the Navy. God willing he was more than helpful and faxed me the paper work I needed. Third trip to DMV was a success and now it is officially my new ride. My wife can rest a little easier now that I am not out looking for the unicorn.

No comments:

Post a Comment