Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Location, location...

I am still kickin it in the Dirty. I have been down here 5 days and have made a few observations. Why does the South like GM products so much? As soon as you hit Carolina all the trucks turn from Ford to Chevy. Of course you have the big balla Impala and the other GM big body cars on giant wheels. I know this trend has made its way to VA but its a whole new level down here. I saw an 80's model caprice, rolling on big enough wheels it had a lift kit on it,  and the paint job had a giant fist full of dollas. Now that's classy y'all!
The funny thing is there is a huge hot rod culture where I am. So I guess you are at one extreme of the taste spectrum or the other. To each his own. At least they are saving all the old cars instead of crushing them.
So maybe Chevy holds a place in the heart of the South. Maybe the Ford plant being in my town saved us from the heartbeat. I don't have anything against Chevy, I am simply making an observation. You be the judge next time you are out driving around. If you want a mint full size Chevy car or short bed truck drive a few mile down and the prospects are endless.
Good luck finding a Dodge truck older than mid 90's anywhere but the Midwest. They made good farm and ranch vehicles so that makes since. Makes it hard to find a Ramcharger in VA. Let me put this in a little perspective. On Craigslist, between Hamptonroads, Richmond, and Raleigh there are about 10 Ramchargers. On the same list there are over a hundred Broncos and the same for Blazers. Now this all changed when Dodge restyled there line up in 94. That truck sold like hot cakes; most likely in forest green.
It is strange how a car can be so well received in one area or one people and not sell to another. I guess that's why people get paid to study demographics. So do I fall into a stereo type or demographic? I would like to think I don't but I am sure I do. I don't have a brand loyalty but I do gravitate to certain manufactures style and features. I also try and buy American.
So maybe I will broach the American vs the world car conversation later. Chevy is number one right now so maybe the dirty South knows whats up. You would not think that if you were down here. 
I know I have been taking digs at the South but I consider myself a bit of a redneck and love the good things about the South. To bad a lot is over shadowed. We will have to work on that.
GOD BLESS DIXIE! 
HELL YEAH!

No comments:

Post a Comment