Saturday, January 21, 2012

The Ugly Hunt

Some of y'all know I have been looking for another SUV to replace the Jeep Wrangler I sold over the summer. Yes I have been looking all this time. Some times I think its me but then I snap back to the reality of people trying to get over on a poor, innocent guy like me. Well it ain't gonna happen! I hope that everyone looks at large purchases with this much discernment. Who wants to be stuck with a POS that was supposed to get them to work and be fun? I guess I will eventually root through the junk and find my flying unicorn; that means it's rare. I have looked at almost every generation of Wrangler, Bronco, Blazer, and even Ramcharger but still haven't found a worthy candidate. My wife thinks it's me sometimes and for a while I did too.
So I roll out to see this 98 Wrangler. The add says its in good shape, only surface rust, all maintenance done. We meet in a parking lot, some people feel weird you coming to their home with the advent of the Craigslist killer and all. At first the Jeep looks alright. I immediately smell the sweet aroma of coolant. This could be an easy fix but a vehicle with 27 easy fixes is a POS. Under closer examination I see multiple leaks from the whole drive train and cooling system. So I figure if the rust is minimal it might still be worth it. Keep in mind the asking price is $5500. So I move to the rust exam, this and the leak check are best done with a really bright light which I get from work. Under the carpet is where the mystery unfolds. The first indication is always sand in the carpet, this is almost impossible to clean completely out. That is why a lot of 4x4's will have the carpet removed and bed liner sprayed in, prevents and hides the rust easier. So I lift up the carpet in the trunk area and the floor boards, sho nuff, rust holes! That is the tell tale sign that this thing was dogged out on the beach and not well taken care of. After a quick test drive I feel it needs several new suspension components as well. So I walked from that one and many others just like it.
I tell you, it gets exhausting driving out to look at something that someone has assured you is the nicest that you will ever see and then... Well I guess they are trying to make a sale or maybe they don't realize how much of a piece their vehicle really is. I don't get mad at them even if it was a 2 hour drive with tolls. I just tell them what I found, they act shocked, and I leave. Like I said, God will put me in what I need but Moses was in the desert for 40 years, I hope it doesn't take that long.
So here is another thing I might get a few comments on, which 4X4 should I buy? I am interested to here y'all's opinions.
Stay tuned for a few more rants and random junk.

1 comment:

  1. I'm no help on the decision as to which 4x4 to get. I do have a request though.

    Last year when we went up to see Dad after his operation, you helped me put together a list of cars from movies and TV shows for the online tournies I host. That tourney was a huge success with a great response. How about a top 10 list of your favorite cars from TV and movies?

    ReplyDelete