Thursday, February 9, 2012

American Made...

I know this is a touchy or at least a very opinionated topic. Most likely if you are reading this you live in America and everybody knows about the controversy of owing our economic soul to China. There are very few things made in America or where the profits go to Americans. So your Toyota pickup is made in Alabama, the plant employees and dealers profit but bottom line your money is going to buy some Japanese CEO a new private jet. So what do I think we should do?
I try and by American when at all possible but bottom line is the all mighty dollar. Most people know that a big reason American goods are sometimes more pricey is the laborer that you pay for but American cars are generally less expensive. I do feel that one of the most expensive purchases you will make in your life should be as home grown as possible. I have only owned one foreign vehicle, while living in the US, and one semi-foreign which is a re badged Nissan to Mercury.
This isn't to say I don't enjoy or appreciate the "other" autos but why not give as much back to our country? I know there are CEO's for the big 3 that are abusing the money they make and taking government bail outs. Not to mention closing plants and taking there fat pensions but don't think this isn't going on in other countries. Here are a couple more reasons for my redarick.
From 1973 to about the 1990's America was at it's worst in automobile power and most of all reliability. The gas and emission crunch is to thank for that. The past several years has been a high point for the home grown autos but the stigma of "I had this Ford and it broke down a lot and I'll never buy American again", is still on the brain. This is also passed down generations. Well I beg you give America another chance. They are more than able to keep pace with their foreign competitors in performance and reliability. Usually you will pay less for the US equivalent ride and if there are repairs to be made, parts and labor usually run a lot lower.
From my experience if you perform regular maintenance on your car it will last. If you wait till something breaks you have probably worn another component out which will fail soon after. I have seen Jeep pickups with over 200k miles from the 80's that have not had major repairs. I lived in Germany for over 3 years and let me drop some knowledge on y'all, there are junk yards full of BMW's and Benz. The cars that are supposedly built for the autobahn were broke down on the side of it. The Japanese have had a ton of problems too, like the Toyota recall a few years ago.
So if you are going off of the stigma or what your parents say about American brand, form your own educated opinion, compare and drive. Give America another chance. I have done a lot of shopping around for cars lately and when the other guys start making a comparable auto for less I will consider it because I do have to look out for my wallet, I have kids to put through college.
I am proud to be American and I prefer the style of our automobiles. Everyone loved American cars before 1973 even the foreigners, so hopefully America will regain it's confidence.

No comments:

Post a Comment