Friday, February 3, 2012

Classic, Antique, or otherwise...

I was driving my classic today wishing it was an antique so I could get a break on a few things. I have 4 more years until I can register my Mustang as an antique. This enables benefits such as NO MORE INSPECTIONS!!! Cut rate, cool looking tags, and lower insurance. Depending on how old you are and your taste, what you consider classic (20 years) or antique (25 years) will vary. I would think most people enjoy the 60-72 era American muscle made popular by reality shows and cool guy movies. Those cars are way beyond antique but when someone mentions a classic car the first thing that might pop into ones head... a 57 Chevy, 69 Camaro SS, etc. Probably not the 87 Honda Accord EX but by definition it is an antique vehicle and can be registered as such.
So is a Classic or Antique really age, popularity, performance, all of the above? This is left up to opinion. I feel that if your car is 25 then you should be able to register it as an antique. Please don't let not needing an inspection let your ride become a death trap. Just know that if your car wasn't desirable when it was new it probably will not be when it's a classic but to each their own. I am all about preserving autos no matter what they are. Look at all the Corvair clubs. Those cars were like the Chevy Cavalier of the 60's but now pretty popular. Never thought I would see so many 85 Caprice Classics, Dirty South style!
You can usually check the aftermarket for what is going to be considered by the mainstream as classic. Who wants to be mainstream? If you have the budget and the skills pick something cool but obscure and it could be a better investment. That's right, I said it. Your ride can be an investment especially when we are talking about an antique. Just do some market research before you go and dump a few grand into a car you can't sell for $2500.
So what do you think is classic? Gull Wing Mercedes, 64 1/2 Mustang, 1987 Buick GNX? They all are to somebody. It's all about supply and demand and what someone is willing to pay for it. If you can't find but a hundred 1985 Honda Accords on the market, if someone wants to buy it then I guess it's worth something. No matter what you drive, as long as you enjoy it, who cares! Have fun and preserve those old rides. You might be rollin in a future Barrett Jackson top seller!
Let me know what you consider a classic ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment