Sunday, February 5, 2012

"I wanna go fast..."

I finally finished installing the fender well Cold Air Intake (CAI) on my Mustang. Now those that know me realize I am a cheapskate. This CAI that should have taken an hour to install lasted a few days while I hunted down hardware that it didn't come with and figured out the proper fitment because there were no directions. All those headaches were worth it, I only paid $50 for the whole setup with a filter. Average price being about $150 on up.
So should you modify your vehicle or keep it original (stock)? How much and what mods should you make? Does it depreciate your ride or make it less reliable? Well that is a matter of opinion and since it's my blog you are gonna get mine. I like a fairly stock looking ride, tastefully modified for improved performance, and reliability.
With restoration of vehicles the end result is what will determine the amount, if any, of modification. Generally speaking an antique restored to absolute original specifications (specs) fetches the most money but may not perform as well. We have come a long way in technology in the aftermarket world. Most people haven't rode in a 50's car with Bias ply tires, 3 on the tree, drum brakes without ABS, and heaven forbid NO traction control and pretty much no safety features. This can lead to an exciting and nostalgic ride. For some it brings back the exact spot they were 50 years ago and for others an experience of what it must have been like.
I am restoring my ride while also modifying it. I have chosen inconspicuous parts, similar shape and finish as the original. Many aftermarket parts are made sturdier and the performance benefits are much better. Many times these mod parts can make your ride more reliable and even improve mileage. For instance my CAI allows more cool air into the motor more easily. Being less restrictive has improved my fuel mileage. Opening up the exhaust a bit will increase power and mileage as well. It's like taking your jeans off after Thanksgiving dinner to put on sweats, less restrictive. The more air in the fuel mixture the better. So forced induction, superchargers and turbo as well as nitrous, will get you more air in the combustion chamber and BOOM more power.
There is always an extreme side to anything. If you put an 800 CFM, 4 barrel carb on a slightly modified car you will not only suck gas down like me with a shake from Sonic, but it will run like crap. There is always a balance to everything. Now if you are pushing 800 horse power then you will need that much fuel in the mix. So it all depends on what you want in a vehicle. Do you want a nostalgic cruiser that you go get shakes with on perfect days? A tire smoking straight line beast? A street light sleeper?
As far as depreciation goes, yes, your brand spankin new car that is under warranty will depreciate if you add performance mods. I am not sure if it is the connotation that it was beat on or the fact that you never know who did the mods and if it was done right. They sell factory modded vehicles with a warranty but you will pay for it. There are whole companies that build existing auto platforms up and you pay the premium at the dealer such as Saleen, Calloway, and Roush. Just know that for the most part, unless you build a race car, you will not get the money you paid for the mods out of the sale price of the vehicle. If your tires are awesome and cost $300 each you usually will not get $1200 on top of what the car is worth. You will however be able to say it has new tires and get the price of the condition of the vehicle, the better shape its in increases the value.
I like performance and I like to make my vehicle a little different, custom. I enjoy driving and build with the idea of how I want my ride to perform. Faster, safer, and more reliable. The customization of vehicles started a whole new culture that caught on fire after WWII. They even let Hot Rods in the Concourse, now that's cool!
Built not bought! get out there and have some headaches and hopefully fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment