Saturday, February 18, 2012

Calc you later!

Y'all know by now that I have been looking for a new 4X4 and you know it is taking me forever (it's been about 6 months). I went to look at an 82 Bronco yesterday in Hampton. The owner was cordial enough to meet me half way from Gloucester. Well, needless to say I am still looking. The price started at $3500. I talked him down on the phone to $3k. From our conversation, text, and pictures it looked like a prospect. It appeared to only have about 3 rust spots and ran like a champ. He said it was low mileage according to the title. Lets talk about that real quick. The odometers on a lot of old vehicles only display 5 digits, after 99,999 miles it rolls back to 00000. The title is supposed to say the actual mileage but vehicles become exempt from this LAW at a certain age. So old boy didn't have to know or divulge the actual mileage. With low mileage, little rust, it was only lifted 4" with a mild tire, and everything else looked stock (how it came from the manufacture). This vehicle is what a lot of guys call uncut, because for some reason people that typically buy these rides chop the fenders and whatever else to throw big tires on it. This usually leads to a life of abuse. I would give you this little snippet of advice, if the add for a vehicle says BAD ASS, I would stray away from that.
This is an example of what the typical prospect looks like. I would like to say this person did divulge what was wrong with it probably due to the fact that he just bought it, got took, and didn't feel right making someone else feel as bad as he did! This was I am sure, a great looking, fair priced Jeep. I am sure the conversation was "I have too many projects or I need a truck or I need something better on gas" and "this is my baby and I hate to sell her." Even though the guy has only owned it a few months. These are the most typical excuses. I guess no one wants to say I can't afford to fix all that is wrong with it!
This is the FRAME of said Jeep! This is completely UNDRIVABLE!

Could you imagine if this broke? I guess you could put it in 4 wheel drive to pull the front half down the road!
This is an extreme example of how you can get stuck with a POS that is basically NOT worth fixing for the amount it would cost in repairs. The signs are not usually this obvious. I know I wrote about what to look for in another blog but it is something weighing on me. I hate it when people are dishonest or when someone who doesn't know any better gets the shaft of a basket case vehicle.
When I went to look at that Bronco yesterday here are the things I noticed that the owner may not have been aware of, he seemed sincerely naive. There of course was more rust than he disclosed but I do use a super bright light and know where these vehicles are prone to rot. The rust started on the inside and had not made it out like the spots he told me about. The squeak he said was the interior was actually the rear end squealing. The "LOW mileage" motor knocked like the police in P-town, and the transfer case (the thing that makes it 4 wheel drive) made a clunking noise. The interior was crap too. So all in all it needed everything! After identifying all of that to him he lowered the price to $2k, remember he started at $3500! My calculator was working the whole time I was looking at the Bronco. I am familiar with how much certain parts and repairs cost BEFORE I go look, $1500 in body work, $3500 for drive train, $1500 for interior, etc. This was not worth the trouble but if I didn't take a thorough look at it I could have been stuck with a money pit. Don't let your yearning for this dream machine impair your judgment. There will be another one, just be patient.
I have a 91 Mustang that I bought a few years ago. I feel I made a good purchase. It did not need any major mechanical work, no rust, and I drove it home. I know parts are cheap for this model and fairly easy to replace. I knew that a certain level of investment into the Mustang would yield a profit if I decided to sell it later. I also have a fun car to drive!
Yeah, its about a 20 footer but it gets me where I need to go, it's fun, and I only have about $3k invested.
If your local and you need help discerning which ride to put in your drive way, let me know. I love weeding out the scammers! Let them be stuck with it...NOT YOU!!!

3 comments:

  1. Matt, can you sign Teddy up for your blog? He would love it but I can not figure out how. His email is: trmcgran@gmail.com
    Thanks, Melinda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nevermind, I did it!! I think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. what's wrong with the frame?? :) whoever drove that was one of those idiots that drive through the seawash on the beach.

    ReplyDelete